Download PDF - Activity
The purpose of these activities is to put students in the frame of mind for
developing short- and long-term physical activity plans with the objective of
providing a sense of competence and positive self-image, as well as setting
life-long patterns of physical activity. In particular, students are to use
standard graphing techniques to indicate changes over time, as well as using
visual depictions of data collected and subsequently analyzed. By emphasizing
effort over actual performance, students will be motivated to engage in physical
activity for more personal, intrinsic reasons rather than for extrinsic, performance-based
- Use graphs to establish the relationship between setting and reaching goals
for physical activity.
- Distinguish between short- and long-term goals for physical activity.
- Set specific short- and long-term goals for physical activity.
- Develop a relationship of physical activity goals to long-term personal
National educational standards that correspond to this activity appear below.
Grades 5-8 and grades 9-12 standards are listed to address those middle schools
that include ninth grade.
National Science Education Standards
Grades 5-8, Standard F
Grades 9-12, Standard F
- Individuals can use a systematic approach to thinking critically about risks
and benefits. Examples include applying probability estimates to risks and
comparing them to estimated personal and social benefits.
- Important personal and social decisions are made based on perceptions of
benefits and risks.
National Health Education Standards
- Personal choice concerning fitness and health involves multiple factors.
Personal goals, peer and social pressures, ethnic and religious beliefs, and
understanding of biological consequences can all influence decisions about
- Students will demonstrate the ability to practice health-enhancing behaviors
and reduce health risks.
- Students will explain the importance of assuming responsibility for personal
- Students will demonstrate the ability to use goal setting and decision making
skills to enhance health.
- Students will predict how decisions regarding health behaviors have consequences
for themselves and others.
BAM! Body and Mind Resources:
- Activity Cards — Information
on many physical activities; how to play, gear needed, safety tips, and expert
- Activity Calendar Section — Many articles
and features on physical activity and staying fit. Includes a personal physical