Start here first:
questions to determine which activities to complete
with your students.
The purpose of these activities is to put students in
the frame of mind for developing short- and long-term
physical activity plans with the objective of providing
a sense of competence and positive self-image, as well
as setting life-long patterns of physical activity.
In particular, students are to use standard graphing
techniques to indicate changes over time, as well as
using visual depictions of data collected and subsequently
analyzed. By emphasizing effort over actual performance,
students will be motivated to engage in physical activity
for more personal, intrinsic reasons rather than for
extrinsic, performance-based reasons.
- Use graphs to establish the relationship between
setting and reaching goals for physical activity.
- Distinguish between short- and long-term goals for
- Set specific short- and long-term goals for physical
- Develop a relationship of physical activity goals
to long-term personal health.
National educational standards that correspond to this
activity appear below. Grades 5-8 and grades 9-12 standards
are listed to address those middle schools that include
National Science Education Standards
Grades 5-8, Standard F
- Individuals can use a systematic approach to thinking
critically about risks and benefits. Examples include
applying probability estimates to risks and comparing
them to estimated personal and social benefits.
- Important personal and social decisions are made
based on perceptions of benefits and risks.
Grades 9-12, Standard F
- Personal choice concerning fitness and health involves
multiple factors. Personal goals, peer and social
pressures, ethnic and religious beliefs, and understanding
of biological consequences can all influence decisions
about health practices.
National Health Education Standards
- Students will demonstrate the ability to practice
health-enhancing behaviors and reduce health risks.
- Students will explain the importance of assuming
responsibility for personal health behaviors.
- Students will demonstrate the ability to use goal
setting and decision making skills to enhance health.
- Students will predict how decisions regarding health
behaviors have consequences for themselves and others.
BAM! Body and Mind Resources:
- Activity Cards — Information on many physical activities;
how to play, gear needed, safety tips, and expert
- Activity Calendar
Section — Many articles and features on physical
activity and staying fit. Includes a personal physical